Sunday, January 30, 2011

let's do something good together

When most of us think February, we think love, right? Romantic love, more specifically.

Which is great. I really like romantic love (just ask Mr. Snickerdoodle).

But Love is a much broader topic than just romance. It includes, among other things, love for mankind in general. Or womankind.

Or heck, even babykind.

The love I'm thinking about is the kind of love that makes us want to reach out and help others. To turn our time, talents, and resources into tangible expressions of love and goodwill.


Take a moment to muster up as much of that feeling as you can.


{I'll wait...}


Ready now? Okay, read this:
Nearly 4 million babies die each year in their first month of life - half within their first 24 hours -mostly from preventable or treatable causes. But by giving mothers and caregivers a package of simple tools, including guidance on healthy newborn care practices, the majority of these deaths could be prevented. Items crucial to saving more babies’ lives include:

• antibiotics to treat infection
• immunizations against tetanus
• skilled birth attendants at every birth
• counseling on breastfeeding
• information on basic newborn care such as keeping the cord clean and keeping the baby warm
And this:
Baby caps are a simple and effective tool that can keep babies warm and ultimately contribute to reducing newborn deaths in the developing world.

Do you see where I'm going with this?





How about now?



This is a bit of a big deal for Snickerdoodle. The first event of it's kind here on the blog. And the first, I hope, of many more. Maybe we can make it an annual tradition.



Here's how you can participate:

Step 1: Download a Caps for Good Action Kit. It'll give you all the info you need to submit a cap.

Step 2: Knit (or crochet, but I can't help you there) a baby cap, using whatever pattern you want. It only takes one to join the fun, but you don't have to stop there! Don't know how to knit? Don't worry. I'll hold your hand all the way. You can do this!

Step 3: Grab a blog button, and help spread the word.

Step 4: Share your handiwork to inspire and encourage others. You've got two options for this:
I'll be sharing the pics and links in periodic show-n-tell posts.

Step 5: Follow the instructions in the Caps for Good Action Kit to mail in your cap(s) no later than Feb. 28th. If you really feel like going the extra mile, have a go at this Recycled Mailer Tutorial.

I understand that you're busy doing all kinds of good and important stuff, and you're the only one who can decide whether or not you've got time for this sort of thing. Just keep in mind that you've got a whole month to knit one little tiny baby cap. This is doable.

If you're an experienced knitter, then pick your yarn and pattern and get cracking! But don't forget to share your handiwork, and be sure to check back with the blog throughout the month for more knit-a-long fun-- including a giveaway!! (more details on Friday)

If you've always wanted to learn to knit, now's as good a time as any. Stay tuned, and I'll walk you through the whole process and give you a great beginner baby cap pattern. We'll get started tomorrow with a Pep Talk for New Knitters and Virtual Knitting Lesson #1.



So, what do you say?

Will you join me?

P.S. Knitting a hat to donate will enter you in the Giveaway!

12 comments:

~Michelle said...

Sounds like a fun and good way to use up some the yarn stash in my craft closet :) Thank you.

Anonymous said...

YES! YES! I'm still in a knitting mood, and have some stash yarn to use up. I'm in!

Angee @ October Morning said...

What a great project. I sorta know how to knit (I don't know how to cast off) but I'd love to give it a try.

Julie said...

Oh boy. You know I'm incompetent at this kind of thing - but I'm spreading the word because I LOVE IT!!!

Alissa said...

I'm in! You've got your work cut out for you, because when it comes to knitting I'm lost. Hopefully you can teach me:)

Wesley said...

Oh Steph. How timely. :) I'm nervous, but I think I'll commit. It's about time I check learning to knit off the list, eh? I'm so excited to have you as my tutor!

Amy said...

I will definitely join you. I have been a knitter for a while. This project will spur me to use my newly acquired crochet skills. I will put this button up on my blog. I love this idea!

Amy said...

I had fun crocheting two hats last night. I put up some info about your KAL on my blog today: http://knitterofhatsspeaks.blogspot.com/2011/02/totally-useless-stitch-along-new-moon-2.html

Megan said...

I love this idea. I am all in.

kath001 said...

Woohoo! SO timely. I just knit my first cap last month, and had not yet done research on where to donate it and future caps. I've printed off the kit, and will drop the cap in the mail this week.

kathleen

Steph said...

Kathleen~ Great minds think alike, eh? Thanks for joining us. Don't forget to send in a picture so you can be entered in the giveaway.

Everyone else~ As my husband would say, "It's on. It's on like Donkey Kong."

LemonyRenee' said...

Oh, I'm in! I've been knitting baby hats for the past few weeks and now they need to be sent off on their mission. What a blessing this post is!