Monday, February 22, 2010

craving Spring

forced blossoms, 2009

About this time of year, I start to get a hankering for warm breezes, green grass and Spring flowers. And while I don't have much (any) control over the first two, it is possible to bring on an early Spring inside, even if Mother Nature isn't ready to cooperate outside. You do it by forcing blooms; bringing flowering branches into your warm home, putting them in water and tricking them into thinking it's Spring.

They call it forcing, but I like to think of it more as gentle coaxing. Whatever you call it, it's so easy, it almost feels like magic.

We tried it last year with great success. Read more about it here and here, with some instructions here.

2 comments:

Britney said...

I really want to try this. I need to find some branches.

Steph said...

Britney, maybe you should sneak across the street and steal a few branches of my flowering plum tree...