Thursday, December 16, 2010

reality check...

At this time of year, Blogland is particularly full of scenes of perfection: impeccably decorated homes, lovely and thoughtful handmade gift ideas, delicious recipes, and cheerful Christmas soundtracks.

If all of that has made you feel the least bit stressed/insecure, please read on. I offer this post as a public service of sorts.



It's 2:00 in the afternoon and I'm still in my PJs.

Yeah, it's been one of those days. The baby has been fussy, the big boys especially rambunctious, and Jack-Jack has become a pint-sized version of that Mayhem character from the Allstate commercials. He pulled all the ball-shaped ornaments off of the Christmas tree (because the kid LOVES balls), clogged the toilet with half a roll of toilet paper, and knocked my sewing machine off of the counter.

Hasta La Vista, sewing machine. It's been nice knowing you. And just when things were starting to get interesting with my first pieced quilt project, too.

I was trying to be practical and limit the handmade gifts and projects this year, what with the craziness that a new baby would add to the mix, but as usual, I threw practicality out the window and couldn't resist sewing a little something: quilts for each of my big boys to celebrate their upcoming transition to bunk beds. They will be awesome, whenever they get done, but it sure as heck won't be before Christmas now.

So now, instead of scrambling to finish a couple of quilts before Christmas, I've suddenly got some free time on my hands. Time to do a little kid-friendly baking (and eating!), time to read stories with the kidlets, and maybe squeeze in a game of Chutes and Ladders or something.

But probably not time to shower...

5 comments:

Britney said...

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who lives in reality!

Sorry about your sewing machine. Yikes. I hope you enjoy your "free-time." (You know---all that time in between taking care of a newborn and three other children!):)

Wesley said...

Oh no! I actually had a nightmare about that very thing the other day-- Wesley breaking my sewing machine. I'm so sorry! I hope you find a suitable replacement soon. And way to look on the bright side and see it as more free time. You go girl.

hb said...

are you kidding? if that's the best messy picture you can come up with, you need to see my house! My kitchen alone is bad enough that running a full load of dishes in the dishwasher barely makes a dent.
And, seriously, I love quilting too! sorry about your machine! but I hope you enjoy your kid-time (and baking). I keep thinking of you snuggling that sweet girl.
xoxo

Erin said...

Oh no! Not the sewing machine! I would cry!
Don't forget, you have a new born, real life expectations (like showering) don't apply to you right now.
Merry Christmas!!

Amy Lynn said...

It's funny how life sometimes just makes us slow down (although as a fellow mama of four I certainly know slowing down is far from stopping!) thanks for sharing where you're at and I hope you enjoy Christmas with your little ones!