Monday, May 17, 2010

sunshiny (and I {heart} New York)

I finished the sunshiny baby jacket a while ago (long enough for me to start and finish another cute baby sweater-- more on that when I get some good pictures to show you).

You chose well, dear readers. It turned out painfully adorable and it was a perfectly portable project for my trip to NYC. I made a couple of modifications to the original pattern. First off, I added about 6 rows to the length, which seems just about right to me. I also used a provisional cast-on and came back and knit a hem. This was my first attempt at this technique and it blew my mind-- it was a lot easier than I expected and gave a nice, finished look to the sweater.



We still need a snap and a decorative button, but you get the idea...

Knitting aside, New York was wonderful. I spent my days wandering Soho and Chelsea, sitting down to knit (and people watch) whenever I felt so inclined. I made it over to Purl Soho, which is just as delightful in real life as shown through the blog. I went in looking for some pretty silk yarn to make the Summit shawl, but I walked out with this:



1 yard of Liberty of London's Tana Lawn in Multi Gabriella-- the most beautiful print I've ever seen. The price was a bit hard for me to swallow at first; for me, the girl who waits to use a 50% off coupon at JoAnn's for fabric that's normally $10/yd. But really, when you see it in person: the color, the incredible drape, the unbelievable silky softness of the 100% cotton, it's totally worth it. And I had some birthday money burning a hole in my pocket, so naturally, the rest is history.

Now I just have to figure out what I'm going to do with it...

4 comments:

Catherine said...

To. Die. For.

amy smart said...

Woops. I just commented with Catherine's sign-in. :) I'm sure she would love it too.

Britney said...

I whole-heartedly agree....I LOVE THIS SO MUCH!!!

Britney said...

P.S. I am filled with so much envy that you got to go to Purl Soho. That fabric is delicious! Can't wait to see what you do with it.