Friday, April 17, 2009

refashionista


I come from a family of recyclers. The Depression-era saying "Use it up; wear it out; make it do, or do without." could be our family motto. Heaven forbid we throw away a zip-lock bag after using it only once (or twice, or three times!), or throw compostable food waste into the regular trash. I cloth diaper my babies, for Heaven's Sake!




And thrift shopping has long been one of my favorite past times, long before it was fashionable, as a matter of fact.




Knowing this about me, it's no surprise that I fell in internet love with the blog Wardrobe Refashion. I've been lurking there for a while, soaking up all kinds of refashioning inspiration and finally decided to take the plunge. I pledged (starting May 1st) to abstain from buying new clothes for the next 2 months. I can buy handmade (Etsy included-- yay!) or thrifted clothing, as well as sew or refashion clothing items myself. Click here to read the official rules.




So, inspired by the fabulous refashionistas at Wardrobe Refashion, I made Jack's blessing outfit out of two of Joe's old white dress shirts. It turned out really well. See for yourself.




Next up, easy breezy wrap skirts made out of nifty thrifted sheets.

6 comments:

Emery said...

It's SO cute, Steph. Looks like something boutique-y you could've paid oodles for at a spendy little shop. Good work!

amy smart said...

You rock. I'm so impressed! Can't wait to see what else you make.

But that baby is the best creation of all. I'm so excited to get a peek!

Kate said...

That turned out so cute! Can't wait to see the wrap skirts. Do you have a pattern?

Steph said...

I didn't use a pattern for the skirts I've already made, Kate. I just used a skirt I already had and loved as a sort of template. HOWEVER, for my next skirts I'll be using this (free!) pattern:

http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2009/03/flashback_reversible_wrap_skir.html

Steph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alissa said...

Steph, that is our family motto.I want to take the pledge too! I'm totally trying to figure out a way for me to do this.