Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Knockoff Nutella

Love Nutella? Me too. I could eat the stuff with a spoon, and easily clean out an entire container myself. For those of you who have never heard of it, it's a chocolate hazelnut spread that, from what I hear, is somewhat ubiquitous in Europe. Thankfully, it's jumped the Atlantic, and you can find it in just about any grocery store here in the States (look for it near the peanut butter). BUT, it can be pretty pricey and is loaded with extra sugar; not like that's ever stopped me before.

Anyhow, I couldn't pass up a chance to try out the DIY Nutella recipe I got from my friend Jessica F. It doesn't have as much sugar in it, and you can save a bit of $$ making it yourself. This doesn't come out as smooth as the commercial spread, but the flavor more than makes up for it. I'm never buying Nutella again! (word to the wise: don't skip roasting the hazelnuts, that's where most of the awesome flavor comes from)

What to do with all that choco-hazelnut goodness? It's amazing on toast, great with graham crackers and pretzels and really, really yummy as a fruit dip.

Click here for the recipe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can and do eat it with a spoon directly from the jar, too. I've stopped buying Nutella unless I need it for a specific because I know I'll finish the jar in a week.