Monday, November 30, 2009

Recipe of the Week: Bye-bye boxed pudding...

My kids call it chocolate custard, after one of the desserts in the Pokey Little Puppy story. Really, it's just chocolate pudding. Simple, delicious, easy chocolate pudding.


Did I mention that it's easy?


You'll need:

1/3 c. white sugar
1/3 c. cocoa powder
3 T. corn starch
a dash of salt
2 c. milk



First, combine all your dry ingredients, and then add the milk (in a microwave safe bowl).


Stir, stir, stir! (until smooth)


Also, try to have a tiny, stuffed dog in on the action-- that really helps.



Zap it!

Microwave on high for 3 minutes, then stir. Microwave for about 4 more minutes, or until thick, stirring after each additional minute.



It'll look a little leathery on top when it first comes out.


Fear not, intrepid microwavers...




...because after you whisk it, it'll be nice and glossy again.


(by the way, my bowl 'o puddin' is only sitting on the stove because

I have zero (zip, nil) counter space. Don't try to cook on the stove with a glass bowl.



Put some plastic wrap right down on the pudding. This keeps it from getting a "skin" (ewwww...) as it cools. Cool in the fridge for a bit. 30 minutes is what we prefer-- that gives us just warm pudding that won't burn the kiddies' mouths.


Top with a big, fat dollop of whipped cream, and enjoy!


9 comments:

Homemade Mamas said...

oooh! Can't wait to try this!!!

Alissa said...

Chocolate cravings lately?It sounds yummy minus the skin!

Britney said...

Amen to bye bye for the boxed pudding. I love real pudding --only I like it warm so the whipped cream melts. Thanks for sharing this. I am going to have to try this one!

Erin said...

my husband and oldest son think pudding is disgusting (a texture thing i guess) so we never have it but Sutton has somehow/somewhere discovered her love for pudding. i think it will surprise her and make this pudding this afternoon. thanks for sharing!!

Emily Bartlett said...

Steph I just found your blog. Love it. You always were the best cook out of all of us :)

I want to see version 2 of your slippers!

Carolyn said...

Thank you! We live overseas and can't find chocolate pudding. Sounds dumb, but I never thought of looking up an alternative. I just happen to have cocoa powder from before we moved, so I'm definitely going to try this.

Wesley said...

Yummmm I never thought I would use the word "luscious" to describe chocolate pudding, but that is what it was! Mine didn't get very thick, but it reminded me of the "sipping chocolate" from the movie Chocolat. loved it! Definitely making it again. Thanks!

CinnamonBrandy said...

we were taught in home ec never to put hot, or even warm things, in the fridge. anything adjacent is going to be unsafe to eat when you get to it.

h.

Steph said...

@CinnamonBrandy- I had to take a government food safety class for a job I had in a daycare once. They strongly recommended putting hot foods in the refrigerator to quickly cool them and bring them out of the "danger zone" for bacteria growth (40 degrees F to 140 degress F).

I've done this for years and we've never had any problems. That said, I never put my hot pudding next to say, my meats, in the fridge.

Anyways, thanks for the heads up!