Tuesday, November 3, 2009

more ruffles!

I turned these:
(a couple of shirts I rarely wear. One with a high, unflattering neckline, and the other with a big hole.)




Into this:
(a shirt that I can already tell I'll get a lot of use out of)

I used a shirt with a neckline that I like as a template for a new neckline on the off-white shirt, and then cut the white shirt (the one with the hole) into 2 inch wide strips. I sewed those strips into one 104" long strip, sewed a row of gathering stitches 1/5" in from each long edge. Then I gathered them up and sewed them on to the off-white shirt.

This was a little harder than my last ruffle shirt-- since the double gathered strip was a lot more fiddly to get looking nice. And my kids were distracting me when I was cutting the neckline (has the halloween sugar hangover and the time change been a double whammy for anybody else's kids?), so it's a little off center.

Oh well.

I think this is a big improvement over the originals, no?




Time: 1 1/2 hours
(but mostly because my kids were being needy. If you don't have any or they're sleeping or busy with something else, you could probably get it done in half the time-- and do a better job than I did!.)

Cost: FREE!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it, and your red one too! I think i'll try this myself soon, thanks for the inspiration :)

Erin said...

steph! this is gorgeous!!! i will so be making one just like it! you don't mind do you?

Britney said...

I LOVE it!!!! I want one!

Erin said...

Those are gorgeous. I just saw the style advertised in the Nordstrom Christmas catalog, so you just made yourself some seriously current trend shirts!

seesue said...

You've done such a terrific job with this! Your NEW shirt looks AMAZING.

willywagtail said...

I love what you have done. Thanks for sharing the good work. Cherrie

Kristen said...

I LOVE this! Are you able to share directions?