Friday, October 2, 2009

Ridiculous

I refashioned another shirt yesterday and I love it. It was so quick and easy to whip up and turned out so stinking cute that it's downright ridiculous. Absurd, really.



I started with a plaid men's shirt. I forgot to take a before picture, so you'll just have to trust me on this. Speaking of pictures, please excuse the photography here. I was too impatient to wait for someone to take a picture for me that I hopped up on the coffee table for a DIY picture with the help of the mirror that sits on my mantle. My four-year old kindly pointed out that we're not allowed to climb on the furniture in the living room. Oh, the hypocrisy!!


Where was I?


Oh yeah: Loosely following instructions from the tutorial at My Mama Made It, I cut a new neckline and shortened the sleeves. I gathered the neckline and bound it with some (pre-made) bias tape instead of using elastic. Then I made a little pleat at the bottom of each sleeve, and bound the sleeve edges in bias tape too. I had a bit of bias tape left, so I made a bow. It's safety pinned on for now, but I'll tack it on with some thread when I get around to it.


Let me just take a moment here to sing the praises of bias tape. I haven't used it much, but sewing this shirt might just be the beginning of a long and rewarding love affair (with bias tape, of course). It's a great way to add visual interest and is so much easier than hemming raw edges (especially curved neckline edges).


I used store-bought bias tape for this project, mostly because I was in need of some instant gratification. But did you know that it's easy to make your own? Just think of the possibilities!


Total time: abt. 35 minutes


Total cost: $3.00 (thrift store shirt) + $1.50 (bias tape)= $4.50


And that, my friends, is ridiculous.


7 comments:

Janae said...

Amazing. I'm totally going to give this a try.

Emery said...

ridiculous, indeed. :) i seriously am so jealous. i often brag of your craftiness to my pinedale friends...

Shauna said...

I'm singing your praises!
I've seen this shirt in person(just moments ago) and it's the cutest thing!

Erin said...

you are brilliant! i love this. must make one soon.

i have been making my own bias tape for a couple of years now. commercial bias tape is so stiff i like how the homemade stuff is softer and easier to work with without all the added stiffeners. i use a bias tape maker and it's quick and easy.

Angie said...

Ridiculously hot.

That shirt is a darn winner. I love the bow. It adds just the right touch of femininity.

I also love the picture, complete with yellow wall.

amy smart said...

This is so adorable, Stephanie. You are amazing.

We saw your husband today and it hit me how crazy this summer was and how quickly it went. We need to catch-up sometime soon!

the_ultimate_generation said...

this is really adorable!!!